Last modified: July 23rd, 2017
Welcome to Spicy! Exploring the world should be easy. Spicy is a fast, beautiful and fun way to save your favorite spots and share it with your friends. The best spots in the world are on Spicy. Search, bookmark, create lists, build your personal guide, share stories, chat with your friends.
1. Information we collect
We collect the following type of information:
Information you choose to give us
Most of our services require you to set up a Spicy account, for which we need to collect a few important details about you: your username, email address and password. To make it easier for others to find you, we may also ask you to provide us with some additional information such as a profile picture, first and last name, a phone number. By providing us with your email address when you create an account with Spicy, you expressly consent to receive emails from us relating to Spicy, however you may opt out of certain promotional or other email messages by following the instructions contained within the emails we send to you. Once you start using Spicy, we’ll collect all of the content you choose to post to the service (e.g. photos, comments, and other materials). Finally, when you contact Spicy Support or communicate with us in any other way, we’ll collect whatever information you share with us.
Information we get when you use our services
To continuously improve the experience on Spicy, when you use our services, we collect information about which of those services you’ve used and how you’ve used them. Here are the types of information we collect:
When finding your friends. Because Spicy is all about communicating with friends, we have included in the app several ways to find your friends easily. To that end, in addition to the search bar, we may-with your consent-collect information from your device’s phonebook or from third-party social media sites you’ll authorize us to connect with. If you choose to invite someone to the Service through our “Invite friends” feature, you may select a person directly from the contacts list on your device and send a text or email. You understand and agree that you are responsible for any charges that apply to communications sent from your device.
User content. We collect the content you provide and any information attached to it, such as the messages exchanged on the platform, the photos and reviews you may post and the metadata provided with such content. Metadata is the technical data behind the user content.
Device information. We collect device-specific information (e.g. hardware model, operating system version, browser type) including unique device identifiers which are small data files or structures stored on or associated with your mobile device. A device identifier may provide us with information about how you use our services. We also collect device information that will help us diagnose and troubleshoot problems in the event of a crash or any other problem related to our services.
Log file information. Each time you visit a web page or app, log file information is automatically collected. That information includes your Internet Protocol (or IP) address, device information such as your web browser type and language, details about how you’ve used our services, pages viewed and other such information. We may also collect similar information from emails sent to our Users where we can track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by their recipients. That helps us improve our services over time.
2. How we use your information
Why do we need all the information we collect you may ask? To bring an amazing product to the Spicy community and services that we constantly improve. Thanks to that, we can do the following:
- develop, improve, maintain and ensure the security of our products and services
- help you efficiently access the services and remember your information so you can access the app faster
- verify your identity and prevent unauthorized or illegal activity
- monitor metrics and analyze trends and usage
- diagnose and fix technical problems
- personalize your experience (e.g. suggesting you friends or places you may want to follow or interact with)
- develop and test new products and features
3. How we share your information
We may share your information in the following ways:
With the Spicy community. We may share your public information such as your username, name and profile picture. Depending on your privacy settings, we may share the usernames and names of people you follow or are followed by, any picture, Vibe or comment you have consented to share.
With third parties. We may share your information with the following third parties:
- With business partners that provide services and functionality for the app to function properly.
- With third parties for legal reasons. We will comply with any valid legal request as long as we reasonably believe the law requires us to do so. We may also access, preserve and share any information we believe is necessary in order to: prevent and address fraud or other illegal activity, stop any violation to our Terms of Service, resolve security concerns, protect ourselves, you and others.
- With third parties in the event of a change of control. In the event of a transaction such as a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution or liquidation, your information (name, email address, user content and any other information collected through the service) may be among the items sold or transferred.
4. How we store your information
No matter where you live or use our services, by registering for and using the Spicy app, you consent to us processing and transferring information in and to Switzerland and other countries in which Spicy, its affiliates or service providers maintain facilities, whose data-protection and privacy laws may offer fewer protections than those in your home country.
5. Control over your information
At Spicy, we want our users to be in total control over their information. To that effect, as long as you log in to your account, we let you update or correct your profile settings. In addition, if you ever change your mind about our ongoing ability to collect certain information you had granted us access to such as your contacts list, camera, photos, or locations services, you can simply revoke your consent by changing the settings on your device if your device offers those options. Keep in mind that this may affect the functionality of certain services. If, for any reason, you ever decide to delete your account, just send us an email at email@example.com asking us to do so.
6. Children’s privacy
Spicy does not knowingly collect any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for the services. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org